News‎ > ‎

Senior Hurling League Winners 2010

posted 27 Sep 2010, 09:53 by Jonathan Tavey   [ updated 5 Feb 2012, 04:48 ]
Inniskeen 0-18 Castleblayney 1-10

Inniskeen completed the double of league and championship when they staged a strong finish to pull away from 14 man Castleblayney in this very entertaining and at times highly exciting league final that built to an exhilarating finish in Clontibret yesterday.

'Blayney were reduced to 14 players with the dismissal of Barney Connor on a straight red card in the 29th minute of the first half. To their credit they compensated with a hard working display in the second half but ultimately Inniskeen made the extra man count although at times they contrived to make life difficult for the themselves through over elaboration and players simply taking the wrong option as opposed to playing a more direct game.

At the end of a close first half Inniskeen led by just a single point 0-7 to 0-6 and by the end of the third quarter they had opened a four points lead. 'Blayney though were right back in it when they found the Inniskeen net, substitute Danny Duffy getting a touch to a centre to reduce the deficit a single point and set the game up for a grandstand finish. And it didn't disappoint as Inniskeen increased the tempo and out scored 'Blayney by six points to two to run out deserving winners with five points to spare.

Inniskeen were forced to field without the services of Barry McArdle and Pauric Dowdall with the result that they had to re-jig their line out considerably but they settled early to the task.

Inniskeen opened the scoring with a point by Michael Lennon in the first minute and by the 7th minute they had opened a three points lead with points by david Mcgahon and Ronan Meegan. By the 16th minute though 'Blayney had taken the lead with points by Michael McHugh, free, Brian McGuigan, Declan Crowe and Michael McHugh from a '65. Inniskeen rallied and regained the initiative with three unanswered points from Martin Murphy out on the wing, Ronan Meegan and TJ Byrne to open a two points lead.

The see saw nature of the contest continued with 'Blayney drawing level with a brace form Michael McHugh one from a free but they were then reduced numerically with a minute of normal time remaining for a set back that ultimately took its toll. Two minutes into stoppage time Ronan Meegan converted when he got on the end of a centre from a free to give Inniskeen a one point advantage at the break on a half time score of Inniskeen 0-7, 'Blayney 0-6.

Michael Lennon extended iniskeen's lead within two minutes of the restart when he converted a long range free but that was soon cancelled out by Michael McHugh also from a free a minute later. Kevin Boylan won a difficult ball out along the wing and placed TJ Byrne who finished well to put Inniskeen two in front. Stephen Forde pulled back a point or Aughnamullen in the 5th minute and both sides now went through an indifferent period where missed chances and wasted possession was the order of the day.

Trevor Hilliard who had an excellent game for Inniskeen put his side two up after 13 minutes and as they maintained the pressure they added points by Ronan Meegan and Michael Lennon to open a four points lead, the lost there had been between them from the start. Their lead however was short lived when substitute Danny Duffy got the vital touch to deflect a high centre to the Inniskeen net and when Michael McHugh converted a free a minute later the issue was wide open.

It was now however that Inniskeen were seen at their best as they replicated their strong finish in the final of the senior championship against the same opposition. Michael lennon restored them to the lead with a point from a free in the 21st minute and they went on to add points by David McGahon, Gerry Boylan the provider, Gavin Dooley with an excellent effort from out on the wing and Ronan Meegan with another long distance conversion to open a four points lead with three minutes of normal time remaining. 'Blayney rallied and put them under pressure but a point from a free by Michael McHugh was all they could engineer as Inniskeen defended stoutly. In stoppage time Inniskeen wrapped it up completely with two further points from Michael Lennon, Gavin Dooley the provider and David McGahon to leave five between the sides when Sean Guinan blew the final whistle.

Teams and Scorers:
Inniskeen: Gerard Ruddy, Paddy Dooley, Philip Brooks, PJ Boyle, Kevin Boylan, Seamus Loftus 0-1 (f), Paul Meegan, Trevor Hilliard 0-1, Gavin Dooley 0-1, TJ Byrne 0-2, David McGahon 0-3, Mark Murphy 0-1, Alan Ryan, Michael Lennon 0-4 (1f), Ronan Meegan 0-5. Subs: Gerard Boylan for A Ryan.

Castleblayney: Hugh Byrne, Paddy Collins, Paul Murphy, Paddy Finnegan, Barney Connor, Mark Treanor, Peter Treanor, Declan Crowe 0-1, David Connolly, Fergal Rafter, Brian McGuigan 0-1, Barry Reilly, Stephen Forde 0-1, Michael McHugh 0-7 (5f, '65), Wayne Funcheon. Subs: Jimmy Lacey for W Funcheon, Dermot Byrne for F Rafter, Danny Duffy 1-0 for S Forde, Ger O'Brien for P Collins.

Referee: Sean Guinan (Carrickmacross HC).